When about to leave England for health reasons in 1848, Priscilla
Sellon was led to change her plans at the last moment by a public
appela for work among the destitute in Plymouth and Devonport. Here
she was gradually joined by others who, with the help of Dr Edward
Pusey, created a community called the Devonport Sisters of Mercy.
They set up schools and orphanages and tended the sick in the cholera
epidemic of 1848. In 1856 they were united with the Sisters of the
Holy Cross and Miss Sellon assumed tje title of Abbess of the new
community which was henceforth known as the Society of the Most Holy
Trinity (present headquarters at Ascot Priory, Berkshire). She died
on this day in 1876.
Priscilla Lydia Sellon, a Restorer of the Religious Life in the Church of England, 1876